The goals of SHEMAS are:
- to promote and develop Historical European Martial Arts Studies;
- to support and coordinate research projects;
- to favour communication and collaboration between independent and affiliated researchers, as well as between researchers and practitioners;
To achieve its goals, SHEMAS proposes:
- to run an Internet website with a database of portfolios for researcher and research project and a specialised bibliography;
- to organise International conferences dedicated to Historical European Martial Arts, as well as panels within renowned International congresses;
- to provide or facilitate: high standard publication, funding application, institutional collaboration;
- to communicate and provide targeted information between academic circles and communities of practitioners.
These aims comes from the Statutes of the Society. Any change coming from future General Assemblies will be announced here. Yearly objectives and current goals are as follows (as of May 5, 2017):
- Constitution of the society with a conference and roundtable (University of Burgundy, Dijon, May 5, 2017).
- Release of the website with first portfolios
- Project HEMA bibliography (extensive bibliography of secondary literature from 1850 onwards)
- Organisation of an international conference about Pietro Monte and his work (CESR, University of Tours, February 2018), including both an academic symposium and a HEMA event.
- Organisation of dedicated panels in relevant congresses (IMC, Leeds and Kalamazoo)
- Planning of the next international conference 2019 (framework academic + event on an author and his work)
- Planning of the submission of an ERC (European Research Council) proposal in 2018